Thursday 17 April 2014

Sunburn 101




As I've stated before…I'm what you would call a "Sunny-bunny." I love the sun, but since approaching my 40's I've been more cautious about using sunscreen. 


Now, my best friend…she's a burner and avoids the sun at all cost. I’m not saying that she gets a little pink. I’m talking deep-seated, might need a therapist for post-traumatic sunburn disorder, burned. You can bake a cake on on her legs when she gets burned. She has shared with me (for my blog) the remedies she's used over the years for her sunburns. Hope they help! 

Aloe Vera

This is everyone’s go-to for sunburn relief. 


A word of caution though: the spray formulas and a lot of the ‘after sun’ gels that seem like they’re just aloe, actually have a form of alcohol in them. Which feels great and soothing, initially, but once it dries, so will your skin. This will make the burn feel tight and even more unbearable!



Rodan+Fields Daily Body Moisturizer

This is one of my all time favorite body moisturizers and I never go on vacation without it! It features Rodan + Fields RF-Dcell technology to calm frenzied cells, normalize the rate of cell maturation and help make skin function more efficiently. This moisturizer allows your skin to retain moisture and remain comfortable when challenged by climate and other environmental aggressors.

Baking Soda

Yes, it works really well for relieving itchiness, but it is also a remedy that can help a fresh sunburn to feel less irritated. Throw a ¼ cup of baking Soda in a luke warm bath and see if it helps.





Oatmeal

Rolled oats are food from the gods, I swear. Not only can they gently exfoliate, but they taste pretty good in cookies or for breakfast! They’re great for sunburn relief, too.
Throw a handful in a warm (not hot) bath or make a paste out of them (with some water) and smoosh it on.

FYI…the clean up is a pain but not as much of a pain as your sunburn will be without the Oatmeal!!

Vinegar

Throw a cup-full in a lukewarm bath. Either distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar will work to soothe and soften your sunburn.


Next Time
Do a better job of covering up! 

Rodan + Fields ESSENTIALS Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Body Sunscreen is a lightweight, non-sticky and non-greasy broad spectrum sunscreen.

I love to use this sunscreen while out in the sun and then complete with the Body moisturizer after sun.

This sunscreen protects your skin’s moisture barrier, has antioxidant vitamins C and E to absorb damaging free radicals and anti-inflammatory ingredients to protect skin from environmental stress.

It's awesome!



Rodan + Fields products are only available in the US at this time. But will be available in Canada in August 2014. Send me a private message at sueandpaul.rfcanada@gmail.com if you would like more information about the Rodan + Fields Canadian Launch in August 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment